Buggie with a pad-folded flatThe strategy I have so far is:
- Soak the dirty diapers in a cleaning bucket (2 or 3 gallon) until you're ready to wash
- When you're ready to wash, "dunk and swish" every item in the bucket (yes the water will be gross...) and ring out and set in the tub ~ This is our rinse
- Dump the dirty bucket water in the toilet
- Plug the bathtub and fill about a third of the way with hot water and 2 tablespoons of Rockin' Green soap
- Soak for 15-30 minutes
- "Swish" each individual item vigorously, ring out and set aside (on the edge of the tub or on the bathroom counter) ~ This is our wash
- Drain the tub water, rinse out with a few cups of water
- Fill the tub one third of the way with warm water, and place the items back in the water, "swish" each item vigorously again ~ This is our rinse
- Ring everything out and set aside again, drain the tub and rinse it out again
- Run the tub facet on cold and rinse off each item, ring well, and hang to dry (we use the shower rod, towel rack and clothes baskets if we needed to)
My first thought is this would be a lot easier if I had help with Buggie. But on the other hand, I know if J were home, he'd be less than thrilled that I'm participating in something like this LOL Especially with my back problems though...
Also, our first night went fairly well with just flats. I usually use a Thirsties duo hemp prefold, but instead I used the origami fold. And in the folded center, I pad-folded an additional flat inside. I Snappi-ed it under an Econobum cover and it worked great!
(A special "thank you" to Diaper Junction for providing us with our flats)